The Pojega Estate, was bought in 1649 by the Counts Rizzardi, living in Verona at the time.
The gardens, commissioned in 1783 by Antonio Rizzardi to landscape architect Luigi Trezza (1752-1823), represent the last masterpiece of Italian gardens, known for its green amphitheatre and its spectacular perspectives (original drawings in the Biblioteca Civica of Verona). The surface is of 54000 sqm (13.3 acres): temple, theatre, walls, galleries and belvedere have been built transforming and bending trees, hedges and water into a phantasmagorical show machine.
The villa itself was restored in around 1850, with cross reference to the venitian Quattrocento, to a design by the architect Filippo Cesare Messedaglia (1823-1901).
The gardens of Pojega are seasonally open to the public from April to October every day 10 am to 5 pm. Saturday and Sunday on reservation.
The new wine shop is located in the courtyard of the garden, where people can taste and buy all the Guerrieri Rizzardi wines.
Opening time is:
11th April to 29th October every day 10 am to 5 pm